Thursday, June 4, 2015

Some More of My Work


Places
Clear, blue oceans and soft, tan sand was awaiting me. The heat was smoldering and beaming in my face and my body. The short sleeved shirt and shorts weren’t helping me become cool. People were all over the place and the air smelt of seawater and oil from the ship we were on. This is the Bahamas, I thought to myself. My family and I walked around aimlessly trying to decide what to do first. We stumbled across a vendor place that sold all types of things, and had tons of people in it. I was pouring sweat and kept having to wipe it off with my hand and forearm. My mom and brother who never sweat was actually sweating and my dad and I teased them about it. We walked around the market type place and awed at all of the pretty things we saw. My dad bought me a pink messenger bag with the word ‘Bahamas’ all over it. We also got other things I can’t remember.                                                                                                                               We saw a lot of different people and different things that amazed me and terrified me. I remember seeing a man with a full face of makeup on in a hair store and whispering to my mom and dad on how bizarre it was. I remember trying to not to point because pointing is rude, but pointing anyway. I remember asking my parents can I have a piece on rum cake since they were offering it and getting shot down immediately. (My brother and I snuck a piece on the ship eventually) and almost pouting. We went into a store and saw an onesie for my cousin who was born two months ago and almost bought it, but my mom didn’t want to. I remember passing a liquor store and asking my dad why can’t Americans bring liquor from here home. And he responded it’s because the alcohol amount is larger than the American legal alcohol amount. We passed by a poster that had the ocean and sand and the word ‘Bahamas’ on it and taking pictures with it. We only been out for like thirty minutes and we started laughing on how tan we are, and how hot and sticky we are, and how much our feet hurt, and how we were going to go swimming when we got back on the ship. It was pretty pathetic the sight of us. We got to our room passing the nasty smell of the exhaust of the ship and painfully and quickly changing into our swimsuits.                                                                                                                   We grabbed our towels and flip-flops and trotted after each other to the deck where the pool was located. We swam together, my dad and I while my mom and brother were huddling on to each because they didn’t know how to swim and were too short to touch the bottom. We got out and went to the room and showered and changed because it was close to dinner time, and we had dinner with other people. We walked into the dining room and sat at our table. We ate amazing gourmet food and laughed and talked with each and my dad’s extended family who was also on the cruise. We took pictures with each other and left to do more family bonding. We walked the ship and had more family time with each other. We went back to the room and got ready for bed, and as soon as my head hit the pillow I was sleep with a smile on my face and beautiful memories in my dreams. This is the Bahamas, I thought subconsciously. No, I thought again; This is Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment